One of the questions people often ask, is what do things cost in Colorado Springs, and how does that compare with other places? While I can’t speak for other places, I thought I’d list a couple of common expenses and what they cost here.
1. Gas – yesterday gas was $2.36 / gal at the King Soopers (Kroger) around the corner from our house
2. Milk – this has been running about the same as gas, around $2.49 / gallon
3. Rent – If you decide to rent (not recommended by this Realtor!), single family homes in reasonable areas start at around $1100, but plan to pay more like $1800 if you want the best school districts or a larger, nicer, newer home.
4. Property taxes – This varies by school district, but in general we figure on 3/4% of the market value as a planning figure. It is often less, for example I have a listing at $295,000 where the taxes are only $1600.
5. Sales Tax – 7.2% in the city of Colorado Springs, but it excludes groceries, labor etc.
6. Utilities – This depends on a lot of factors. Our own tend to average $300 / month for everything except trash service, but that is for a 4200 sf house with a hot tub. Obviously smaller, newer and no hot tub make them lower, but if you keep your house at 75 all winter or water your grass 3 times a day in the summer, it will be higher.
I voted on Thursday! It took an hour and a half to get through the line at the Chapel Hills Mall, but at least it is done now. I am so sick of political ads, pollsters, etc it will be great to have this election thing over with.