Did you know…?
- Colorado is home to the tallest sand dunes in North America
- Colorado is the only state to turn down hosting the Olympics
- The 13th step at the State Capitol Building is exactly 1 mile above sea level
- The Eisenhower Tunnel is one of the highest altitude tunnels in the world
- Colfax Avenue in Denver is the longest continuous street in the US
- Pikes Peak Cog Railway is the highest railway in North America
- Colorado has the world’s largest flat top mountain, Grand Mesa
- The highest paved road in North America is Mount Evans Scenic Byway
- The Royal Gorge Bridge is the highest suspension bridge in the world
- Colorado’s southwest corner, aka the four corners, boarders Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah – it’s the only place in America where the corners of four states meet.
- The United States has a total of 91 “fourteeners” (mountain peaks over 14,000 feet). Fifty-six of them are in Colorado.
- It was on top of Pikes Peak (another Colorado 14er) in 1893 that Katherine Lee Bates was inspired to write the words to “America the Beautiful”.
- Colorado Springs is home to the U.S. Air Force Academy
- Colorado contains 75% of the land area of the United States with an altitude over 10,000 feet.
- The world’s largest natural hot springs pool is located in Glenwood Springs, running two city blocks long.
- Leadville is the highest incorporated city in the U.S. at 10,430 feet above sea level.
© 2019, Rick Van Wieren Real Estate, Inc. All Rights Reserved. On republishing this post you must provide link to original post.