Colorado Springs Grows as Retirement Destination
Colorado Springs is not as famous as it could be as a retirement community. But I see it growing, as more and more families flee higher priced urban areas, and parents and grandparents follow after coming for a visit. Today’s photo was taken just yeterday (11-8) at Sunridge Retirement apartments, at Flintridge and Vickers, one of the high spots in the city. It happens to be where my mother-in-law lives (she moved here from California about 6 years ago), and their dining room (not where this shot was taken) has the best view of any restaurant in the Springs. Several things make the Springs desirable as a retirement spot.
- There is reasonably priced housing
- There is readily available, quality health care
- We get lots of sun
- Our winters are mild relative to a large portion of the country
- Our summers are mild relative to a large portion of the country
- Seniors are generally treated with respect here
- Air connections are good for the travelling, active seniors
- There are plenty of places to enjoy a motor home for another whole group of active seniors
- The town is overall conducive to the kids and grandkids staying here
- There are plenty of things to do for most seniors, whether outdoor or indoor oriented
There are probably another 25 reasons or so why this is a great place to retire, and I am sure they are different for every family that decides to do it. There are a few negatives that I would be less than honest if I didn’t mention.
- High altitude can be hard on people with heart conditions or breathing problems such as emphysema.
- For seniors coming from warmer climates such as Florida and Arizona, the cooler weather and thinner air can take some getting used to
- Making new friends isn’t always a cake walk. Leaving lifetime friendships can be very hard, especially if the friends don’t travel.
- There are a few days a year when snowy roads can be dangerous for drivers who are already less than confident on the road.
Updated from prior post of November 2007